Here are seven bite-sized facts about J.K. Rowling’s The Casual Vacancy.
- The Casual Vacancy is Rowling’s first book for adults. She’s obviously best known for her Harry Potter series, and so this marks her first non-magic turn at fiction.
- In an interview with The Guardian, Rowling revealed that she came up for the idea of the novel whilst travelling on an aeroplane.
- Prior to it being called The Casual Vacancy, the book was originally entitled Responsible.
- Tom Hollander – aka Mr Collins in Joe Wright’s Pride And Prejudice - narrates the audio book.
- The novel is 503 pages long.
- The story is set in the fictional village of Pagford, which is located in the West Country.
- Harry Potter actress has said of the book: “There’s no way that it isn’t nerve-wracking when you have so much attention on what you do and your choices and everything, but she’s so wonderful and so clever and there’s no way it’s not going to be brilliant.”
Watch a video of J.K. Rowling reading extracts from the book below:
Read a collection of reviews of the novel here. TYC’s review will be coming soon – have you read the book? Let us know what you thought in the comment box below.